ISOLATING SPARK GAPS (ISGs)
ISOLATING SPARK GAPS (ISG) FOR LIGHTNING PROTECTION SYSTEMS AND LOW-VOLTAGE LIMITERS FOR USE IN RAILWAY SYSTEMS AND CATODIC PROTECTION
Protection against direct and indirect lightning effects (combined Type 1 and 2)
Protection against indirect lightning effects (Type 2)
Protection against induced overvoltages (Type 3)
Protection against electro-magnetic interferences on the line including transient surge suppression
ISGs are in accordance with the standards EN 50164-3 / IEC 62561-3 and used for indirect bonding of a lightning protection system to nearby metal systems, where a direct bond is not permissible for functional reasons, e.g.:
- for the protection of isolating joints in systems provided with cathodic protection or stray current systems;
- for service entry masts for low voltage overhead lines;
- for the protection of insulating flanges of pipelines;
- in the vicinity of railway systems.
They provide the following features and benefits:
- monolithic explosion proof protection;
- high level of protection and high isolation resistance against induced voltages or voltages injected by cathodic protection systems;
- high short circuit current withstand.
Isolating Spark Gaps ISGs