UTILITY AND FUNCTION OF OVER-VOLTAGE DISCHARGES BY ZOTUP
To absorb over-voltages and thus avoid short circuits, most of the time electrical systems require surge arresters. ZOTUP, an Italian company based in Bergamo, works for the development of Made in Italy surge arresters.
What is a surge arrester?
Over-voltage arresters are protection solutions for the entire electrical systems against over-voltages, surges and electricity peaks from the operator or caused by atmospheric phenomena such as lightning. It is well known that power anomalies are the main causes of devices’ damage connected to electrical sources, such as PC hardware, TV screens or appliances. Furthermore, in the event of increased dizzying in the electrical flow, dangerous conditions for humans can occur.
How does a surge arrester work?
A surge arrester, also called SPD - Surge Protection Device, has two advantages: it is economic and it can be installed in an existing system. This tool works as a sort of container that is used not to alter the functioning of the system. When current anomalies occur, the surge arrester intervenes by immediately discharging excess energy to earth.
Depending on the functionality, the surge arresters are divided into 3 classes:
- class I surge arresters are suitable for areas characterized by frequent adverse atmospheric phenomena, such as violent storms and lightning;
- class II surge arresters are complementary to the first type and able to support over-voltages caused by maintenance work on the power line. Between the first and the second type it is necessary to have about 5 meters of distance. This variant consists of a varistor and a spark gap; in case it breaks, the varistor’s window turns red;
- class III surge arresters must be installed downstream of the first two variants and have to be positioned directly in the back of an appliance socket. Specifically, this variant guarantees additional protection.
Moreover, SPD devices are divided into 3 macro-categories based on their function.
- switching, in which the main role is played by the spark gap. The device consists of two spaced electrodes that generate an electric arc during an overvoltage. The advantages of this type of SPD are reliability, galvanic isolation, dimensions and high discharge currents;
- limiting, in which the varistors -made by a ceramic mixture and zinc oxide particles -perform the most work. During an overvoltage, the varistors are crossed by a small leakage current, but they can constantly maintain the electrical voltage. The advantages of these mechanisms are: very short intervention times, precision in the repeatability of the ignitions and absence of the subsequent current;
- combined surge arrester, simply consists realizing an SPD with both previous types of SPD. A series connection is advantageous thanks to galvanic isolation and the absence of subsequent current; a parallel connection, on the other hand, is characterized by reduced operation times, high discharge currents and tripping precision.
Why choose ZOTUP surge arresters?
ZOTUP is based on very simple and important values, such as safety, quality, and innovation. Over the years, this company has established itself on the market thanks to its increase encouragement to its consumers to choose quality protection solutions from over-voltages by ZOTUP.
Technical support on over-voltages protectors is beyond the telephone support, as ZOTUP also provides support via email or Skype conferences. Inspections are also carried out on the systems, providing the best maintenance and the correct installation of the product. In addition, the company is committed to organizing training sessions for customers, electrical consultants, installers and salespeople.
Among the companies specialized in over-voltages arresters production, ZOTUP is oriented towards technological evolution thanks to its continuous R&D to offer high quality products. The quality of the SPD devices is guaranteed by the completely Italian design and production.
ZOTUP: the most advanced surge arresters
ZOTUP offers a wide range of innovative SPDs, which are differentiated by functions and characteristics. For example, the overvoltage discharges for low voltage application are distinguished by the fact that they are equipped with an integrated Fuse Function that allows to extinguish the mains electrical anomalies current by itself. They are characterized by a residual performance indicator and they can be installed in environments with a high conductive pollution rate. For what concerns SPDs of medium voltage, used as over-voltage protection systems for transformers, switches and medium voltage transmission lines, the characteristics are as follows: great availability of thermal energy performance, the presence of silicone rubber insulators and increased escape lines to cover internal and external applications, and a high degree of contamination.
On the other hand, the typical use ofhigh tension over-voltage surge arresters relates to the protection of HV / MV transformers, the switches, and the energy transmission lines of atmospheric discharges and over-voltages for manoeuvre. The SPDs with high tension can include porcelain or silicone rubber insulators.
Finally, ZOTUP’s focus on innovation is evident from the selection of cutting-edge products in the field of over-voltage protection, such as SPD for Leds luminaire that can be used in public lighting systems, Surge arresters for data transmission used to protect network distributors (HUB/SWITCH), telephone lines and ADSL lines, Telecommunication and signal surge arresters for protection of low resistivity and SPD-specific equipment with installed coaxial connectors for protection of TV switching equipment, satellite antenna or broadband transmission and remote systems.